Health Care Aide #575 (Permanent Part-Time)
Working in and from the worksite, the Health Care Aide works under the direction of Management to provide health services to residents. Observes and documents the resident’s health condition and environment, reports significant and unsafe observations and provides support and guidance.
Functions & Responsibilities
Under direction of the Site Manager, it is the Health Care Aide responsibility to:
- Assists residents with activities of daily living including personal hygiene (bathing, grooming, shaving, hair and nail care), dressing, assistance with personal equipment and appliances, transferring and toileting. Assisting clients to complete wound dressings when needed.
- Monitors residents by methods such as observing resident’s health condition and environment including functional ability, living arrangement, and family supports, documenting behavioural, physical and cognitive changes in accordance with standard procedures or specific directions, and reporting significant and unsafe observations to delegate.
- Provides input and feedback in the care planning process by participating in team reports and care conferences, discussing/recommending changes to treatment plan and collaborating with a multidisciplinary team. Encourage clients to attend appointments and medical follow up in coordination with the care team.
- Assists residents to meet their needs for elimination by observing urinary and bowel functions. Administers enemas and suppositories as directed by care plan.
- Assists in meeting the Nutritional needs of residents by ensuring that they are positioned and prepared for meal times, serving meals and nourishments, feeding clients who require assistance, monitoring the intake of food and fluids.
- Performs tasks such as administration of medication, catheter care and the application of TED stockings under the Transfer of Function guidelines for clients in specific situations for which training has been provided.
- Maintains a safe environment for residents by performing duties such as checking operation of equipment to ensure safe working order, and reporting incident/equipment problems or general safety concerns to management.
- Maintains an awareness of community resources and agencies and makes this information available to clients.
- Attends and participates in staff development programs, team meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Education, Training & Experience
1. A minimum of one (1) year post-secondary education from a recognized Care Aide Program or an equivalent.
2. One year of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
3. Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and NVCI
4. Successful Criminal record check
5. Registered Care Aide in BC
Skills & Abilities
1. Ability to work in a harm reduction environment which includes an observed consumption area, as well as familiarization with the principles of harm reduction.
2. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
3. Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment
4. Ability to operate related equipment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
6. Ability to organize and prioritize.
7. Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
8. Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients, staff and management and collateral service providers.
9. Home management skills.
10. Ability to instruct.
11. Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
12. Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
13. Ability to assist with medication support and to follow established policies and procedures.
14. Advocacy skills.
15. Ability to work in a low barrier housing environment with sensitivity to the population of shelter and supportive housing environments.
APPLY BY: September 8, 2023 by 4pm
APPLY TO: email@example.com
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT: ____________________________________________
INITIALS: ____________ Date: _________________________
This position is open to all qualified individuals and requires membership in the Union. The successful applicant is not required to operate their own vehicle for performing the duties of the position.