Maintenance Worker (#408)
Provides maintenance repairs to all Community Builders Housing and Shelter Sites.
Functions & Responsibilities:
- Establishes, monitors, and carries out preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for buildings, equipment, and grounds. Ensures building and equipment meet all safety, security, and fire regulations and policies. Makes recommendations for major repairs and purchases to the supervisor.
- Performs carpentry, electrical, painting, mechanical, and plumbing maintenance and repairs, such as repairing furniture, constructing shelves, installing switches, replacing plugs and other basic appliance repairs, applying paint and other finishes, repairing drywall, disassembling and reassembling equipment, replacing sinks and toilets, and applying finishing material such as linoleum.
- Monitors work performed by contractors, prepares estimates of labor and material costs, contacts external contractors and tradespeople to obtain quotes, and arranges for major repairs and maintenance work.
- Collects and removes garbage and recyclable materials and ensures the safe disposal of hazardous waste.
- Cleans external areas such as entranceways, sidewalks, and parking lots using manual and power brooms, rakes, shovels, and other equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow, and other refuse. Performs minor gardening and lawn maintenance tasks such as mowing, weeding, pruning, and watering.
- Completes and maintains related records such as maintenance logs and security incident reports.
- Transports equipment, furniture, and supplies manually and/or using aides such as dollies and carts. Operates a motor vehicle to pick up and move goods and supplies. Arranges furniture for special events.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Grade 10, plus at least one related vocational training such as a building maintenance course or certificate
- Two (2) years recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.