Resident Support Worker #550
Working in and from the worksite, the Resident Support Worker provides assistance and support to residents in
their living environment while encouraging independence, self responsibility, and healthy lifestyle choices.
Participates in activities to contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of building standards.
Functions & Responsibilities
Under Director of the Site Manager it is the Resident Support Workers responsibility to:
1. Assist with resident support by identifying potential problems and reporting any difficulties to the
Building Coordinator and Management.
2. Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential emergency situations such as clients’ aggressive
behavior to ensure no harm comes to the resident and/or the public.
3. Observes residents and identifies and assesses potential emergency situations, and develops
short-term strategies to deal with such situations including de-escalating challenging behaviors.
4. Provides supportive feedback and behavior management to residents, their families, and their personal
networks, to assist with the development of physical, social, emotional, and life skills such as maintaining
personal hygiene, housekeeping (garbage removal, laundry assistance, dishes, changing of linens,
sweeping/mopping of floors, bathroom cleanliness etc.), meal planning and preparation, making and
keeping appointments, and interpersonal skills.
5. Provides medication support, in accordance with established policy.
6. Provides meal programs or support in accordance with established policy.
7. Completes rounds after every 30 minutes of the building and grounds to maintain safety and
security of the housing site, addressing issues if found.
8. Completes and maintains related records and documentation in the Community Builders database such
as resident interactions, progress reports, and daily logs.
9. Ensures the maintenance, cleanliness, and safety of programs and residence by completing
janitorial and maintenance tasks as directed.
10. Assists with monthly room checks if required.
11. Conducts wellness checks.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
13. Be informed of Harm Reduction policies and be available to support residents with safe use practices,
including overdose response or first aid when required.
14. Restock and clean harm reduction room.
15. Maintain cleanliness in amenity and lobby areas.
16. Maintain and clean staff and shared bathrooms.
17. Assists care aids and Home Support with resident rooms and personal care support when required.
Education, Training & Experience
1. A minimum of one (1) year post secondary education.
2. One year of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and
3. Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and NVCI
4. Criminal record check
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in a harm reduction environment which includes an observed consumption area, as
well as familiarization with the principles of harm reduction.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients, staff and management and collateral service
- Home management skills.
- Ability to instruct.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to assist with medication support and to follow established policies and procedures.
- Advocacy skills.
- Ability to work in a low barrier housing environment with sensitivity to population group housed.
Education, Training & Experience
- A minimum of one (1) year post secondary education.
- One year of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and
- Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and NVCI
- Successful Criminal record check