Shelter Support Worker #548
The Shelter Support Worker provides support to shelter guests and the shelter site to maintain a safe,
clean, welcoming space for homeless individuals needing temporary accommodations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
It is the Shelter Support Worker responsibility to:
1. Be familiar with Community Builders’ Policies and Procedures, as well as Emergency Protocols.
2. Complete and submit shift reports, noting any significant guest interactions while at work. Shift reports to
be written as per guidelines and submitted on the Community Builders database.
3. Monitor and check off guests seen on the roster to inform the 48hr bed turnover policy.
4. Enforce shelter guidelines as set out by Community Builders.
5. Report any infractions of shelter policies to Coordinator and Management for preparation of Incident
6. Respond to crises in a timely manner, including overdoses and medical emergencies. Utilizing the
emergency services where appropriate. Be familiar with non-violent crisis intervention procedures to
de-escalate conflict and aggressive behaviors of guests.
7. Maintain professionalism in your interactions with shelter guests as per policies.
8. Facilitate the serving of 3 meals a day within the shelter.
9. Perform regular rounds inside and outside of the shelter, including patio areas, washrooms, storage
spaces, and any other CB buildings as required.
10. Help maintain shelter standards including recording any fire safety deficiencies, maintenance
deficiencies, pest control issues, clutter and health and safety hazards
11. Allow guests to access Harm Reduction supplies and restock as needed.
12. Facilitate entry to shelter by outreach teams and medical organizations to help shelter guest’s access
housing and medical help when needed.
13. Perform regular cleaning tasks to ensure cleanliness of shelter, including but not limited to:
● Cleaning washrooms
● Changing sheets on beds
● Emptying garbages
● Performing perimeter checks and picking up any garbage
14. Be willing to move shelter sites when operationally required.
15. Further tasks list posted in shelter
Education, Training & Experience:
1. A minimum of completed Gr. 12 education.
2. Six (6) months of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training
3. Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and Non Violent Crisis Intervention training (NVCI)
4. Criminal record check
Skills & Abilities:
1. Ability to work in a harm reduction environment which includes an observed consumption
area, as well as familiarization with the principles of harm reduction.
2. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
3. Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment
4. Ability to operate related equipment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
6. Ability to organize and prioritize.
7. Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
8. Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients, staff and management and collateral service
9. Home management skills.
10. Ability to instruct.
11. Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
12. Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
13. Ability to assist with medication support and to follow established policies and
14. Advocacy skills