Shelter Support Worker #559 (Temporary Part-Time)
The Shelter Support Worker provides support to shelter guests and the shelter site to maintain a safe, clean, welcoming space for homeless individuals needing temporary accommodations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
It is the Shelter Support Worker responsibility to:
- Be familiar with Community Builders’ Policies and Procedures, as well as Emergency Protocols.
- Complete and submit shift reports, noting any significant guest interactions while at work. Shift reports to be written as per guidelines and submitted on the Community Builders database.
- Monitor and check off guests seen on the roster to inform the 48hr bed turnover policy.
- Enforce shelter guidelines as set out by Community Builders.
- Report any infractions of shelter policies to Coordinator and Management for preparation of Incident Reports.
- Respond to crises in a timely manner, including overdoses and medical emergencies. Utilizing the emergency services where appropriate. Be familiar with non-violent crisis intervention procedures to de-escalate conflict and aggressive behaviors of guests.
- Maintain professionalism in your interactions with shelter guests as per policies.
- Facilitate the serving of 3 meals a day within the shelter.
- Perform regular rounds inside and outside of the shelter, including patio areas, washrooms, storage spaces, and any other CB buildings as required.
- Help maintain shelter standards including recording any fire safety deficiencies, maintenance deficiencies, pest control issues, clutter and health and safety hazards
- Allow guests to access Harm Reduction supplies and restock as needed.
- Facilitate entry to shelter by outreach teams and medical organizations to help shelter guest’s access housing and medical help when needed.
- Perform regular cleaning tasks to ensure cleanliness of shelter, including but not limited to:
- Cleaning washrooms
- Changing sheets on beds
- Emptying garbages
- Performing perimeter checks and picking up any garbage
14. Be willing to move shelter sites when operationally required.
15. Further tasks list posted in shelter
Education, Training & Experience:
- A minimum of completed Gr. 12 education.
- Six (6) months of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and Non Violent Crisis Intervention training (NVCI)
- Criminal record check
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work in a harm reduction environment which includes an observed consumption area, as well as familiarization with the principles of harm reduction.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients, staff and management and collateral service providers.
- Home management skills.
- Ability to instruct.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to assist with medication support and to follow established policies and procedures.
- Advocacy skills