Resident Support Worker (#07)
The Resident Support Worker works on-site and provides assistance and support to residents in their living environment, promoting independence, self-responsibility, and healthy lifestyle choices. They also participate in activities to maintain building standards.
Functions & Responsibilities:Under the direction of the Site Manager, the Resident Support Worker is responsible for:
- Assisting with resident support by identifying potential problems and reporting difficulties to the Building Coordinator and Management.
- Recognizing, analyzing, and addressing potential emergency situations, such as clients' aggressive behavior, to ensure the safety of residents and the public.
- Observing residents, assessing potential emergency situations, and developing short-term strategies, including de-escalation techniques for challenging behaviors.
- Providing supportive feedback and behavior management to residents, families, and personal networks to help develop physical, social, emotional, and life skills (e.g., personal hygiene, housekeeping, meal planning, appointments, and interpersonal skills).
- Administering medication support in accordance with established policy.
- Supporting meal programs as per established policy.
- Conducting hourly rounds of the building and grounds to ensure housing site safety and security.
- Maintaining records and documentation in Community Builders database, including resident interactions, progress reports, and daily logs.
- Ensuring the maintenance, cleanliness, and safety of programs and residences by completing janitorial and maintenance tasks as directed.
- Assisting with monthly room checks if required.
- Conducting wellness checks.
- Performing other assigned duties.
- Being informed of Harm Reduction policies and supporting residents with safe use practices, including overdose response or first aid when necessary.
- Restocking and cleaning the harm reduction room.
- Maintaining cleanliness in amenity and lobby areas.
- Cleaning staff and shared bathrooms.
- Assisting care aids and Home Support with resident rooms and personal care support when required.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Minimum of one (1) year of post-secondary education.
- One year of recent related work experience or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Certificates in Narcan Training, First Aid, and NVCI.
- Criminal record check.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work in a harm reduction environment, including an observed consumption area, with a familiarity of harm reduction principles.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision, exercising initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to operate relevant equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and prioritization abilities.
- Observation and recognition of changes in clients.
- Establishing and maintaining rapport with clients, staff, management, and collateral service providers.
- Home management skills.
- Instructional abilities.
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to assist with medication support and follow established policies and procedures.
- Advocacy skills.
- Able to work in a low barrier housing environment with sensitivity to the population group housed.